How dangerous can a little bit of asbestos really be? Short answer, very! Even breathing in the smallest amount can be very dangerous. Let's talk about it…
What is Asbestos?
Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral made up of lots of small fibres. These fibres are very strong and are highly resistant to heat, fire, and chemicals. There are six types of asbestos, all of which are composed of long and thin fibrous crystals, but the 3 most common asbestos types include chrysotile which is white, amosite which is a brownish colour and crocidolite which can be identified by its blue shade.
Why is Asbestos so bad?
Each form of asbestos can cause serious harm to your health. Asbestos is highly known for giving people cancer, this is due to the small fibrous crystals being inhaled into the lungs. The type of cancer given to people who have breathed in asbestos fibers is Mesothelioma, which leads to malignant tumours, cancers that develop around the lungs, intestine, larynx and/or ovaries. It can also cause asbestosis, scarring of lung tissue. It also causes pleural plaques, thickening of membranes around the lungs. There is also no known cure for asbestos infections/illnesses.
How does Asbestos affect the working environment?
If requested to complete work in an asbestos contaminated environment we would need to follow correct protocols to ensure health and safety.
It is important if you think your home may contain asbestos, get it checked and if you do, get it removed. Simply google ‘Asbestos removal’ and find many options with who to call.